Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Happy at home

So really, where is home?

Home is where and when I feel steadfast and happy.

I spent a day at Grand Canyon hiking the South Rim with my daughter thinking about that. The terrifying drop below, the air above, the space around, the animals. I felt more at home that day at certain moments than anyplace I had been in a long time. That was an eye-opener to say the least. Without the trappings of everyday life, when you stop and just look around... home to me is about being with people I love, and the simple beauty of where you are. With all the places I've lived, ocean-views, concrete walled, urban, suburban, upper-class, middle-class, lower-class... I've always felt most at home when things were plain, unglamorous, simplistic. A slow simple day with basic things to do, and all the time to do them in.

I hope to be home more in the future. It makes me happy.

No comments: